Monday, November 22, 2010

Fear is the Opposite of Faith

Hello, hello to those in the cold,

So the past week has been extremely hot!!! It’s not even funny. Good thing we have AC in the apartment, psh not! Ha-ha. Def looking forward to dry heat next year.  And today the rain caught up to us.  It usually rains after a couple days of heat, so this afternoon it started which will cool things off a tad bit.

Well, a bit more about my comp. I was going to send a pic but at this moment I'm still trying to find the USB adapter but I don’t think there is one.  Well, he talks a lot, I can tell you that! We have had a lot of fun together so far.  Our fist day together, all of our plans fell through so we just started to walk to the furthest part of our area and just talked and got to know each other; it was good.  We have been teaching really well and have had some awesome lessons and experiences this last week. (Oh and a little side note, today we were walking and a bird totally dropped a turd on his nose!! That was nasty! Ha-ha but we all laughed at him).

Anyways, this week has been a lot lot lot better! As noted last week, I've had some tough spots these past couple of weeks but I just kept at it and this week I really started to see the blessings and felt the Savior’s hand reaching out to me (and helping) me out of this trial I've been in.  We taught a family a couple of days ago. They have 2 daughters whom we never have really been able to talk to.  The past 2 times we’ve gone by, the girls haven’t been home.  And they’ve also had some tough things happen to them in the family. But Friday we got there right when the girls were getting home from school. Their Dad was busy but he told us to teach his girls and he would listen to us while he was working.  We started talking about the part of the Book of Mormon that they were reading. They are really shy and don’t talk much so we had to teach really clearly and explain everything well.  Marisol is 12 and Judith is 9. They were able to understand things well and they ended up accepting a baptismal date for the 11th of December. The only bad thing is that the parents work all day Sunday and didn’t want to have the girls attend church by themselves.  We told them we would come by the next day with a member who works in the Young Women program and that she would take them and bring them back from church. Saturday morning we went by with the member.  We got to the door and the mom was still worried, but after talking to the member a little she changed and she said she would have the girls ready for church by 9. I didn’t think much more of it but was happy they would let the girls attend. I didn’t even worry about them all that day or Sunday morning, I just kind of knew they would come to church. As we were greeting people at the door on Sunday, I spotted the member and with her was Marisol and Judith! And she even brought another girl from another family we’ve been teaching! Afterward, both Marisol and Judith said they liked church and seemed happy and seemed like they had met some good friends. I was so happy and we are going by tomorrow to visit with the family again. 

Also on Saturday, we were able to teach Rodrigo again. It’d been about 3 weeks and I thought we were never going to hear from him again.  We were able to teach him at the church with a member friend of his. He hasn’t read the Book of Mormon since the last time we saw him which was disappointing but we went over the “Introduction of the Book of Mormon” and “The Restoration” and then read some versus with him from the chapter we left him, in 2 Nephi 31, and also talked about baptism. There was an awesome spirit and I asked how he was feeling he said he felt good but couldn’t explain it. Then I said, “Sometimes we can’t explain our feelings when we feel the Holy Ghost, but I know it comes from God and He’s testifying to you that this is true.” And he also accepted a baptismal date for the 4th of December!

We have had some other really good lessons, too, and I have seen a lot of blessings from the Lord this week. That’s what happens when you don’t give up when things are hard and you rely on the Lord. We also had 7 investigators at church yesterday, which I think is the most I've had. It was a really good week. Obviously, there are always some things that could be better but this week I've felt so blessed by the Savior and am reminded that this is His work and I am just giving myself to Him.  He has blessed me and has shown me the way. I know that the Lord will continue to bless us and with our hard work, I have faith that our investigators will get baptized.

I remember (as mentioned in the subject line) that when we have fear and are down, we don’t really have faith, even if we say we do. I hope and invite everyone to have faith this week and not to be fearful and I promise the Lord will bless you.

I love and miss you all so much and am thankful for your help and encouragement. Even if sometimes I can’t fully explain myself or the experiences I'm having or the help I need, I thank you.

Happy time 'til next week.  And always - Be happy! (I'm sure you’re annoyed since I say it all the time)!

Con amor,
Drew

No comments: