THIS POST IS BY ELDER LUDWIG'S MOM:
Just when I started to let my mind wander in the direction of self-pity (How is it possible for a Mother of five and Grandmother of seven to find herself mostly alone for Christmas?), I received these sweet messages which were my tender mercies.
PART OF ELDER SETH FRENCH'S (Drew's roommate at SVU) WEEKLY EMAIL FORWARDED BY HIS MOM:
. . . ok and to end my letter I want to share something that I thought about this week. I was putting my socks on like I do everyday and I noticed how they have held up extremely well and still look practically brand new. I decided that I was very grateful for the socks that I brought to the mission. After that I thought about why I choose to bring those types of socks and I figured out that Drew is the one who first got them, they looked comfy and legit so I copied him. If I am grateful for the socks, I have to be grateful for Drew. If I am going to be grateful for Drew, I have to be grateful that I went to SVU and was able to meet him and also for the experiEnce I had there. If I am grateful for going to SVU then I have to be grateful for going to CV so I could be the best baseball player I could be. If I am grateful for the CV experience, I have to be grateful for all of my friends (Jay, Greg, Jason and their families) who supported me in the move from YV and also the support of my family. If I want to be grateful for my friends and family then I have to be grateful for God and everything he has given me. Something as small as socks could lead all the way back to God, but I really like how that works. I think sometimes we forget about everything he does for us and has given us. I hope that in this season we can think more in Christ and in our Father in Heaven. I love you all so much, talk to you soon!!!! Elder Sethward
PART OF AN EMAIL FROM ELDER KIRK GARRETT’S MOM IN MEMPHIS (Kirk was Drew's last companion and has been home from his mission less than one week):
. . . Life has been really crazy around here getting ready for Kirk to come home. We had a glorious reunion! . . . I had a little open house for Kirk on Saturday and he spoke in Sacrament Meeting today . . . Kirk, of course, had mixed feelings about leaving the mission field but seems to have settled in a bit. He said Drew was very sad to see him go but he is doing well. Kirk says that Drew was his favorite companion. Must be because he is from Las Vegas! Kirk loves to visit all the relatives there!
PART OF AN EMAIL FROM ELDER JUSTIN HALE’S MOM (Justin entered the MTC the same day as Drew and is serving in the same mission):
I just read on Drew's blog that his new companion is Elder Jimenez!! He was Justin's trainer when they all first got to BA. Elder Jimenez is a great missionary!! Justin really loved him and was sad to see him transferred. I guess he was with Elder Steed first and now with Elder Ludwig! The other good thing is that Elder Jimenez doesn't speak any English (or very little) so Justin's Spanish got a lot better! Hoorray! I hope Drew enjoys his new companion!
I TESTIFY THAT THE FAMILIES OF MISSIONARIES ARE BLESSED. ARE OUR LIVES WITHOUT TRIALS? NO. BUT WE HAVE UNDOUBTEDLY FELT THE HAND OF THE LORD SUCCORING US. - LL
"Won't be Home for Christmas"
I skipped the sales after Thanksgiving. The need just wasn't there. No cookies baked for Santa Clause, My decorating has no flair. Budget this year went for suits and shoes, White shirts and ties....not too much fun. I bought him all these clothes because... This year I'm giving Christ my son. I've spent more time in the temple, Received strength from holy words. My worship has more meaning, and my testimony's stirred. Our family prays more frequently My tears are quick to run. Abraham seems closer because, This year I'm giving Christ my son. I wonder how so many moms, brave sending their sons to war? Or how the pioneers chose Zion, their sacrifice was so much more. Mine is just a fleeting absence. And missing his smile a ton. For two years we will pray for him, I'm giving Christ my son. I often think of his playful laugh, I memorized his eyes, their shine. That gentle goodness - always a part of him, Sacrifice will strengthen, mature and refine. The pathway was marked, he'd always heard, His choice and mine are one. Our will, our trust placed in God's hand, This year, I'm giving Him my son. Past Christmas gifts have lost their glitter, I think I better understand Heavenly Father's gift which we celebrate by placing in His this young hand. It's because I know Christ lives and saves I return to Him a precious one. My gift has taken years to make, This year... I'm giving Christ my son by Verna Rice? (revised by LL)

No comments:
Post a Comment