Monday, April 19, 2010

Division in Villa Soldati

From a snail mail letter dated April 12, 2010

Dear Mom,
I’m still on divisions this week with Elder Curtis in Villa Soldati.  There are tons of “villas” here in Buenos Aires. It is so humbling to see people here who are in poverty.  They don’t have hardly anything, just some essentials and their families.  It’s really sad but it’s really cool to see how they can be happy at the same time.  And it has strengthened me to see the love and happiness they have. 
I haven't been in Liniers for one week now and we might be still going on divisions for another.  Sandra did end up getting baptized and also another girl, Natalia.  Her story is cool.  She is a 20-year-old daughter from a less-active family that had introduced us to Sandra.  Natalia had been to church before but was going to a different church and didn’t believe in the Book of Mormon at all.  She was really against it.  But this past week she was taught more and read and prayed and she found her answer within days and got baptized with Sandra in Liniers last Saturday.  How amazing, huh?!  I wish I could have been there so bad but I was able to be at one of the most spiritual baptisms I’ve ever seen while here in Villa Soldati.  It was for an 80-yr-old woman who has been staying with her son for a couple of weeks.  Her son is the Elders Quorum president and has only been a member for a couple of years.  His Mom was in a different religion and was way “hard” about listening to the missionaries.  Elder Curtis kept insisting, though, and she got baptized this past weekend.  It was so cool, though, right when she came up out of the water she grabbed and hugged her son and started crying with joy.  It was so sweet!  It was so spiritual and great to see how happy she was to be baptized by her son while being 80-years-old!
Elder Curtis is awesome.  He’s such a good missionary.  The cool thing is he is a lot like me.  He loves baseball and loves to have fun as well.  He says it’s been hard to find the balance between working hard while still having fun on his mission.  But he says it’s hard NOT to have fun and still be able to work.  We have had a lot of fun together so far but have also found and taught so many people.  It’s awesome!  He’s from Bountiful Utah and he’s just awesome.  Well, I don’t have much more time but know that I love you tons and am so thankful for your example and love.  I have learned so much from all of my experiences. 
I know that the Lord can pick us up at anytime.  We need to stay as close to Him as we can because there are a lot of bad things in the world.  We are nothing without Him and He has paid the price for all of us.  He knows your trials and weaknesses but one thing that He has given us is the ability to have a good attitude about everything and the willingness to make the best out of every decision we face.
Con Amor,
Your son in Argentina,
Elder Ludwig
Andrew Del Ludwig :)

No comments: